RCT Discussion / OpenRCT: advantages and disadvantages

• disneylandian192%s's Photo

A copy and paste feature for any number of selected tiles would be icing on the cake <3

• G Force%s's Photo

Better Peep AI would be nice.

• bigshootergill%s's Photo

Is it possible to add a means permanently change ride ratings? It's tricky to do it through Vanilla and the SOB trainer...

• dr dirt%s's Photo

Wait - is the tile inspector up?  I'm not seeing it..

• G Force%s's Photo

Wait - is the tile inspector up?  I'm not seeing it..

The MOM options should come up whenever you select an object in the Tile inspector.  Are you sure you have the most recent version? 

• dr dirt%s's Photo

The MOM options should come up whenever you select an object in the Tile inspector.  Are you sure you have the most recent version? 

I believe so, but I see neither.  Unless the mac version doesn't have it.

• G Force%s's Photo

That is a strong possibility, do you have "enable debugging tools" selected in the Misc. section of the options?  There should be a button with two cogs that appears next to the "cheats" or the Save button in the top left.

• dr dirt%s's Photo

That is a strong possibility, do you have "enable debugging tools" selected in the Misc. section of the options?  There should be a button with two cogs that appears next to the "cheats" or the Save button in the top left.

Ah shit there it is!  Thanks a bunch man.

• GigaG%s's Photo

Eventually, OpenRCT2's save format will diverge from "real" RCT2's. Already, I've heard it allows elements from RCTLL's Steel Mini coaster that weren't in RCT2, and inversions on dive coasters. I think NE should classify OpenRCT2 as a separate game for compatibility reasons.

• Broxzier%s's Photo

A copy and paste feature for any number of selected tiles would be icing on the cake <3

Good idea, should be simple to implement. :)

Eventually, OpenRCT2's save format will diverge from "real" RCT2's. Already, I've heard it allows elements from RCTLL's Steel Mini coaster that weren't in RCT2, and inversions on dive coasters. I think NE should classify OpenRCT2 as a separate game for compatibility reasons.

Definitely. In the long term only the assets from the original game will be needed, and even those can be replaced by custom made ones. RCT2 parks will be compatible with OpenRCT2, but not the other way around.

• GigaG%s's Photo

Good idea, should be simple to implement. :)

Definitely. In the long term only the assets from the original game will be needed, and even those can be replaced by custom made ones. RCT2 parks will be compatible with OpenRCT2, but not the other way around.

I think they recently announced that OpenRCT2 is now independent of RCT2 code, so in theory, the assets could be replaced right now. 

• Gymnasiast%s's Photo

Actually, the assets could already be replaced in 2014, when we disabled checksum checking for g1.dat. Anyway, assets is the one area where we really need more people. Even if it is just to draw all the missing pieces for the Giga Coaster. Luckily, there is a user around here (forgot his name) who managed to create a loop for the Giga Coaster and diagonal pieces for the log flume, even managing to make them match Simon Foster's style (unlike almost all of Wacky Worlds and Time Twister, ugh).

• GigaG%s's Photo

Actually, the assets could already be replaced in 2014, when we disabled checksum checking for g1.dat. Anyway, assets is the one area where we really need more people. Even if it is just to draw all the missing pieces for the Giga Coaster. Luckily, there is a user around here (forgot his name) who managed to create a loop for the Giga Coaster and diagonal pieces for the log flume, even managing to make them match Simon Foster's style (unlike almost all of Wacky Worlds and Time Twister, ugh).

That would be lovely. So your priority is to extend RCT2's vanilla graphics set before you start an OpenTTD style replacement project?

• mintliqueur%s's Photo

Speaking of sprites, I remember reading some year ago that someone tried to contact Simon Foster about the original 3D models, in hope that they would be allowed to use them to render new sprites or something like that. Does anyone know what happened with that?

User Recurious has undoubtedly done a very impressive job making custom sprites in MS Paint, though!

• Gymnasiast%s's Photo

That would be lovely. So your priority is to extend RCT2's vanilla graphics set before you start an OpenTTD style replacement project?

Exactly, as a graphics replacement project requires quite a lot of effort. RCT contains one to two orders of a magnitude more sprites than TTD, and people who manage to match Simon Foster's quality are in very short supply.

Speaking of sprites, I remember reading some year ago that someone tried to contact Simon Foster about the original 3D models, in hope that they would be allowed to use them to render new sprites or something like that. Does anyone know what happened with that?

I contacted Simon Foster myself not long ago. Since he signed over the rights to his models (probably to Chris Sawyer) he couldn't give us permission, which was very unfortunate as it seemed he was willing to do so if he could.

User Recurious has undoubtedly done a very impressive job making custom sprites in MS Paint, though!

Indeed. Matching Simon Foster's style is not easy, doing so in MS Paint makes it even more impressive. I want to integrate his sprites into OpenRCT2. I already contacted him about it, but he wanted to do some improvements to them first.

• mintliqueur%s's Photo

I contacted Simon Foster myself not long ago. Since he signed over the rights to his models (probably to Chris Sawyer) he couldn't give us permission, which was very unfortunate as it seemed he was willing to do so if he could.

That's a shame, though not really surprising. 

• spacek531%s's Photo
    Did Simon Foster mention anything about the shape of his track pieces? I know X713M3-256 made some slope-to-steep using a cubic function but it didn't look quite right.
  • mintliqueur%s's Photo

Did Simon Foster mention anything about the shape of his track pieces? I know X713M3-256 made some slope-to-steep using a cubic function but it didn't look quite right.

He also had trouble getting the lighting right, I think. Could be worth asking Mr. Foster for some input on that! 

• GigaG%s's Photo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UKKaTGwIqc

This appears to be a video demonstrating how the sprites got into the game, if you're interested.

• posix%s's Photo

This has probably been asked before but I can't google myself out of my misery it seems.

Where does ORCT2 save the DATs that are newly imported?

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading