(Archive) Advertising District / Dump-Place

• Chocotopian%s's Photo
    ^ Agreed. They have a classic amusement park feel to them. As for suggestions for the Virginia Reel, I would perhaps add a tad more to the end of it, i.e. change the final turn and instead include a 270 turn to the right with another over-under element, just to save the trains from entering the station so quickly and losing potential ride... if you get what I mean.
  • imawesome1124%s's Photo
    @CC9: All of those layouts look nice. They really look like coasters you would see back in the way early days of parks.
  • ScOtLaNdS_FiNeSt%s's Photo
    ^^ Yes i agree, Would like to see a few screens from you "imawsome"
  • CoasterCreator9%s's Photo
    Wow, thanks everyone for the comments - I didn't expect such a wonderfully positive reponse. :mantis:

@CC9: All of those layouts look nice. They really look like coasters you would see back in the way early days of parks.

Looks like they'd fit well in a seaside park ;)

Thanks trav and imawesome. Hope so, that's what I'll be aiming for. :D

^ Agreed. They have a classic amusement park feel to them. As for suggestions for the Virginia Reel, I would perhaps add a tad more to the end of it, i.e. change the final turn and instead include a 270 turn to the right with another over-under element, just to save the trains from entering the station so quickly and losing potential ride... if you get what I mean.

Classic feel is what this park will be all about, about the reel - how does this look? (Original on the right-again, completely unfinished.)

Posted Image
    (I should probably start a topic for this.)
  • Super G%s's Photo
    No. In my knowledge there was only 1 lay-out for al the virginia reels that existed. It was compact and it was a complete rectangle. I might be wrong but I don't like that second lay-out.
  • TwistedHelix%s's Photo
    As far as I know as well you are correct with it onl having one layout so I'd go fro the orignial but make the zig zag bits one further out so its a complete rectangle.

Cheers

89James89
  • gir%s's Photo
    Not a huge fan of either layout. The footprint is too big (waste of space) and it seems like the speed at the bottom of that first set of hairpin turns will be way too high.

No. In my knowledge there was only 1 lay-out for al the virginia reels that existed. It was compact and it was a complete rectangle. I might be wrong but I don't like that second lay-out.

Agreed, I prefer the first one.

As far as I know as well you are correct with it onl having one layout so I'd go fro the orignial but make the zig zag bits one further out so its a complete rectangle.

Cheers

89James89

I was contemplating that, I think I'm going to do that.

Not a huge fan of either layout. The footprint is too big (waste of space) and it seems like the speed at the bottom of that first set of hairpin turns will be way too high.

I acknowledge your opinion of the layout's size and such, again - these are rough drafts. The speed does remain in check, but it is a tad fast. I'll continue to relook over these.

Thanks again everyone for the helpful criticisms.
  • Chocotopian%s's Photo
    Hmmm, from the comments it seems like a tight footprint is more realistic. Perhaps if there was a way to incorporate the additional turns inside the open square area (a tight squeeze, but it might be possible) it would maintain the footprint while adding more to the ride. I’m happy with the new layout tbh. I think the bridge bit that goes over the two sections of track would be a nice part to theme.

Hmmm, from the comments it seems like a tight footprint is more realistic. Perhaps if there was a way to incorporate the additional turns inside the open square area (a tight squeeze, but it might be possible) it would maintain the footprint while adding more to the ride. I’m happy with the new layout tbh. I think the bridge bit that goes over the two sections of track would be a nice part to theme.

We'll see, things might change once I get these layouts actually in the park an themed.
  • imawesome1124%s's Photo

^^ Yes i agree, Would like to see a few screens from you "imawsome"

I haven't played RCT2 in over a year since we got a Win7 computer. It's playable, but I can't download parks or CS. I will have to get a used WinXP computer from ebay or something before I can play again. I really miss the game. :(
  • SoCalCoasters%s's Photo
    Well...I dusted RCT2 off after around a year of not even touching the game...and I have to say I'm still having a blast! This little project may turn into a small park by the time I'm done!

Posted Image
  • Fizzix%s's Photo
    That's looking very cool, SoCal. CC9, I like either Virginia Reel, I don;t know why, but i just love them.
  • nin%s's Photo
    SoCal, I really like that. You should perhaps rebuild that exact thing on a larger scale, with bigger rides/more development. Would look great.
  • A.S.Coasters%s's Photo
    It looks like Hell Cat.
    ^Yes, it is inspired by Hell Cat.

That's looking very cool, SoCal.

Thanks!

SoCal, I really like that. You should perhaps rebuild that exact thing on a larger scale, with bigger rides/more development. Would look great.

Thanks! At this point, I'm thinking about just expanding the current area and trying to make a mini park much like the real life Timber Falls. The only real "similarities" between the two will be the coaster the the water ride within. The current layout flows a bit calmly towards the end, but keeps a decent pace.

Here's a little more progress since an hours or two ago:

Yay or nay on the fire?

Posted Image
  • nin%s's Photo
    nay. The fire's unneeded here.

nay. The fire's unneeded here.

Yeah, I ended up ditching the fire. I don't want to hog this thread so this will be the last set of pics for now:

I've tentatively named the coaster Kasi, which means speed in Swahili. The way the coaster interacts with the Shoot the Chutes, there's only one central entrance/exit area into the center of the coaster which leaves me with two options:

A: Make this the sort of tail end of a small amusement park

or

B: Refine what I have now, add more surrounding details and turn it into a design? This may sound n00bish but I'm still not quite sure of who to properly submit a park in the correct format. XD Until tonight I hadn't even played RCT2 in forever.

Which option sounds better?

Here's the two pics: (there's still a bit on the bottom to do: station/queue/prelift)

Posted Image

Overview

Posted Image

A look at the majority of what's complete
  • Top Gun%s's Photo
    I really like the small feel of this. the details on the Falls ride are pretty cool as well. I don't like how you've fenced it off though. I feel like it should venture out more into some other areas.
  • chorkiel%s's Photo
    That station looks pretty cool

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading