(Archive) Advertising District / Dump-Place

• BC(rct2)%s's Photo
    I mean, the theme
  • rct2isboss%s's Photo

I mean, the theme

Just basic, very basic, lightly European themed.
  • leonidas%s's Photo
    Gijssie.. that looks amazing. The detail is incredible, and although it's very unfinished the station building itself already brings a lot of atmosphere. I actually like the rocks and base of that tower.
  • Lloyd%s's Photo

Trav, its the dump-place for a reason. You can post whatever screens you want.

But still, another hour or two on that area and that screen would look a lot better. I just don't see the point of spamming pictures in the dump, why not just wait and actually advertise the park properly?
  • trav%s's Photo

Trav, its the dump-place for a reason. You can post whatever screens you want.

When it gets to the point where you've shown 4 or 5 pictures of the project, it really shouldn't be in the dump anymore.
  • leonidas%s's Photo
    When you spend days in order to create a complete scene to advertise properly, and everyone says it's shit, you'd wish you had posted an unfinished screen in the dump to show people in what direction you were going. If people like it, it's worth to continue on it, if people dislike a few details, you can change them quickly and continue in the right direction and if people completely dislike what is there already, you could just stop and start over, to save yourself hours of your time.
    Plus, I like to see what everyone is doing atm. If you're not interested, just stay out of this topic. I really don't see a problem.
  • Liampie%s's Photo

When you spend days in order to create a complete scene to advertise properly, and everyone says it's shit, you'd wish you were posted an unfinished screen in the dump to show people in what direction you're going. If people like it, it's worth to continue on it, if people dislike a few details, you can change them quickly and continue in the right direction, and if people completely dislike the what is there already, you could just stop and start over, to save yourself hours of your time.
    Plus, I like to see what everyone is doing atm. If you're not interested, just stay out of this topic. I really don't see a problem.

You're obviously from the RCT3 communiy where people build stuff only to take screens, in order to please the audience.
  • Lloyd%s's Photo
    So if people don't like it you delete it? I thought you were supposed to play this game for yourself.

Besides, you'll never really carve your own style if you get spoon fed everything
  • leonidas%s's Photo
    Screens show what you're building ingame.

I think you show something because you'd like to see what others think, right?

What the hell is the purpose of the dump, if you're only allowed to post finished screens. If you have a finished product to show, release it, or create a topic.
  • trav%s's Photo
    Posting a finished screen is completely different to finishing a park. A screen can be cropped to show complete parts, so you could only have like 100 square finished, out of like 10000.
  • Gwazi%s's Photo
    Posting a finished screen allows us to give better constructive criticism because we have a complete picture of what they were going for. We can't really help them improve much if they show a partially finished facade and 30 green tiles.
  • Ling%s's Photo
    When you're less sure of your work, and you know it's going to be torn apart anyway, you usually don't feel like putting in all the effort to finishing an entire screen. It's not worth it.
  • robbie92%s's Photo
    Is i t really that hard to finish a screen though, or at least crop it to make it look more finished? I mean, shit, very few screens on this site seem truly done, more of a cropped view of an in-progress park, but that extra two minutes of work, at most, makes it much better to understand how we should view what's there.

Gijssie, it's nice, but nothing crazy. That textureless roof is pretty bad and would look much better with a texture of some sort. I feel that with this screen, there's a lot of complexity for complexity's sake, and that it doesn't seem nearly as clear as it could be. You have the idea of detailing down, but now you really need to think of how to utilize detail effectively.
  • Ling%s's Photo
    Agreed on cropping. But in general.
  • StormRunnerFan%s's Photo
    Am I back?

Posted Image

Who knows...

-Storm
  • robbie92%s's Photo
    Nice, although it'd be even better if the rockwork had strata of some sort.
  • verti%s's Photo

Posting a finished screen is completely different to finishing a park. A screen can be cropped to show complete parts, so you could only have like 100 square finished, out of like 10000.

Look at previous posts by him: he works in multiple passes between various area's. That's his process, and if it works for him, and allows him to finish highly detailed parks, then why try and stop him from getting feedback early on? Especially since he's not exactly posting the most unfinished screens this thread gets.
  • AvanineCommuter%s's Photo

Am I back?

Posted Image

Who knows...

-Storm

I'm excited to see this one develop... those rocks look amazing! Never seen that kind of landscaping done before to this extent, love it!
  • Arjan v l%s's Photo
    I also agree with Leonidas in some ways.
    If 'new' members don't have a clue how to build a coaster by certain rules or if their use of colours is the best choice etc. I can understand that if you're not fully convinced that something is going in the right or wrong direction ,that you wan't to post it before it's finished ,to prevent needles work. It's very dissapointing to finish something and then get burnt down for it. A while ago i also posted unfinished screens ,just to get an idea if i'm doing it right. Now i won't post unfinished screens anymore ,because now i know what to do. ;)

@ Lloyd: Surely you can maintain your own style ,you can use others opinions to enhance it ,instead of changing it.
    I have maintained my own style (you will see when my park will be released), but i did use others opinions to enhance it. I already see to much of the same style here. And i'm no copycat. ;)
  • Turtle%s's Photo
    Brilliant landscaping, totally new. Really gets the idea across. Looking forward to more.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading