Avenged Sevenfold- Seize the Day

You don't know much about drums, do you? :p

Rev all the way. :nod:
  • chorkiel%s's Photo
    rev theory - hell yeah
  • Ruben%s's Photo

You don't know much about drums, do you? :p

Buddy Rich - drum solo

I've been playing them for 8 years now, so I guess I actually do. :bandit: And I'm far from the only one that sees him as one of the best drummers ever. ;)

The thing is, his technique might not be the hardest/most complex to master there has ever been. But he was just só creative and inventive. He created something new almost everytime he played, with unique sounds and beats, something not many drummers can say.

Problem is... there are so many (especially jazz/soul) drummers that simply believe one's level is measured by the amount of random toms hit per minute... It's been done a thousand times before, it's not a pleasing sound, and imho it's not much more than a funny trick. It's difficult, but that doesn't automatically make it good. There's no feeling in it.

Having that said:

Avenged sevenfold
    Nightmare.
  • pierrot%s's Photo
    * Gaetano Parisio (ita)
    Needind Chords
    Advanced Techno Research 1/10 [A - Side]
    Chapter Four [ B - Side]

* Danilo Vigorito (ita)
    Tobecon
  • Dr_Dude%s's Photo

Problem is... there are so many (especially jazz/soul) drummers that simply believe one's level is measured by the amount of random toms hit per minute... It's been done a thousand times before, it's not a pleasing sound, and imho it's not much more than a funny trick. It's difficult, but that doesn't automtically make it good. There's no feeling in it.

Yeah man jazz has no feeling at all let's go listen to Avenged Sevenfold.
  • chorkiel%s's Photo
    Runaway (cover)
    Silverstein
    Punk Goes Pop 4
  • RRP%s's Photo
    Liege
    Para One
    Epiphanie

followed by

A1
    Para One & Tacteel
  • Ruben%s's Photo

Yeah man jazz has no feeling at all let's go listen to Avenged Sevenfold.

You're misreading what I'm saying. I say there are many drummers that only look at the level of difficulty of technique, while not putting any feeling in their music. And I point out that íf I see that happneing it's mostly with Jazz/soul drummers. That's very different from the idea that all Jazz has no feeling. Guess I'd be the last one to say that since I love listening to Django Reinhardt, Dave Brubeck, New Cool Collective and so many other great jazz musicians.

Try to be critical about your way of reading before being critical about what you thínk a text says. Keeps you from posting dumbass 1 sentence comments. :SA: Just saying.

Having that said:
    Kyteman's orchestra
    Sorry
  • A.S.Coasters%s's Photo

let's go listen to Avenged Sevenfold.

Good idea.

So Far Away
  • Ruben%s's Photo

Good idea.

So Far Away

We can talk.

Avenged Sevenfold
    A little piece of heaven

Somewhat disturbing subject... but the arrangement is just insanely good.
  • A.S.Coasters%s's Photo
    ^Definitely, here's another great one.

Critical Acclaim

Jimmy's voice sounds amazing in this song, skip to 2:32.
  • Ruben%s's Photo
    Rise against
    Chamber the Cartridge

Good Music
    Good People
    Good Message +

Full of win.
  • chorkiel%s's Photo
    Counting Crows - Murder Of One
  • Nokia%s's Photo
    Vava Voom (ft. Lupe Fiasco) / Bassnectar
  • Wanted%s's Photo
    Such a sick song^

Seeing Bassnectar at my college in 3 weeks :)
  • Dr_Dude%s's Photo

You're misreading what I'm saying. I say there are many drummers that only look at the level of difficulty of technique, while not putting any feeling in their music. And I point out that íf I see that happneing it's mostly with Jazz/soul drummers. That's very different from the idea that all Jazz has no feeling. Guess I'd be the last one to say that since I love listening to Django Reinhardt, Dave Brubeck, New Cool Collective and so many other great jazz musicians.

It's not mostly jazz and soul drummers who strive for pure difficulty, it's mostly metal drummers. Literally the only drummers I get any sense of "feeling" from are jazz drummers and Zach Hill (I'm a drummer bee tee dubs). Anywhere else it's just percussion to me. But I'm sure the way I would define "feeling" in music is different from the way you see it, so it's probably just semantics.

PS you should listen to some jazz made by black people. It's better.

And right now I'm listening to The Money Store by Death Grips, who leaked the album themselves. It's a fucking banger.
  • Nokia%s's Photo
    You'll Find a Way (Switch & Sinden Remix) / Santigold
  • verti%s's Photo

I've been playing them for 8 years now, so I guess I actually do. :bandit: And I'm far from the only one that sees him as one of the best drummers ever. ;)

The thing is, his technique might not be the hardest/most complex to master there has ever been. But he was just só creative and inventive. He created something new almost everytime he played, with unique sounds and beats, something not many drummers can say.

How is doing what everyone else is doing creative? He didn't do it to any particular level, and there's certainly nothing 'unique' to his sound. I'm sorry, but he's just another dime-a-dozen, overhyped by the little emo fanbase the band has produced.

Problem is... there are so many (especially jazz/soul) drummers that simply believe one's level is measured by the amount of random toms hit per minute... It's been done a thousand times before, it's not a pleasing sound, and imho it's not much more than a funny trick. It's difficult, but that doesn't automatically make it good. There's no feeling in it.

To say that drummers like Buddy Rich are only about speed and technique is absolutely preposterous. The amount of feeling and devotion you can hear when that man is playing is insane - and that's coming from a rock drummer. And even if you can't understand that, it's guys like him and gene Krupa that redefined percussion in music, and that demands respect no matter what.

</rant>

Hammerfall - Blood Bound
  • Ruben%s's Photo
    Dr. Dude: Meh, some metal drummers have the same problem yeah. Just don't listen to Metal as much because a lot of it usually doesn't interest me anyway. ;) I agree about the black Jazz musicians, but that's nothing new to me (thankfully).

Verti: Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.... We can keep on going, but I'll just call it a matter of taste instead. I'm not saying drummers like Buddy Rich didn't do anything for drumming, or that they are bad. Just saying it's not my idea of the essence of drumming. It is not my idea of feeling, devotion maybe, but not feeling. No shame in disagreeing on this right? ;)

Buena vista social club
    Hasta Siempre commandante
  • chorkiel%s's Photo
    All We Are - Matt Nathanson

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading